Mrs S Noble
Head of Music
Head of MFL
Mrs G Lane
Head of Music
At Lincoln Castle Academy the Music Department aims to allow students to:
- Form individual identities and positive interactions with music, developing competence as learners and increased self-esteem
- Bring together intellect and feeling to enable personal expression, reflection and emotional development
- Develop an appreciation of a broad range of cultures and traditions, both past and present to develop their cultural understanding
- Be actively involved in both individual and group music-making
- Feel a sense of achievement and self-worth, increasing their ability to work with others in a group context
- Develop critical skills: their ability to listen, to appreciate a wide variety of music and to make judgements about musical quality
- Increase their self-discipline, creativity, aesthetic sensitivity and fulfilment.
2016 GCSE Results:
We have a large classroom specifically for making music, equipped with nearly a dozen electric keyboards and as many PCs. These have Sibelius, Dance EJ, Auralia and Audacity installed, allowing students to compose, test, record and modify their own music. We also have three music practise rooms for individual music lessons, as well as a varied collection of instruments including class sets of acoustic guitars, Djembe drums and Samba drums.
Key Stage 3
- Introduction to Music
- What Makes a Good Song?
- Orchestral Music: Carnival of the Animals
- Medieval Music
- The Folk Tradition
- Composing a Blues Song
- Orchestral Music: The Planets
- Introduction to the Guitar
- Own Choice Performance
- Sibelius 5
- Music for Special Occasions
- Orchestral Music: Film Music
- Making Arrangements
Key Stage 4
Students currently study AQA GCSE Music, developing their skills in Listening, Appraising, Composing and Performing. Students will learn about the following Areas of Study:
- Rhythm and Metre
- Harmony and Tonality
- Texture and Melody
- Timbre and Dynamics
- Structure and Form
The Areas of Study are explored through three strands:
- The Western Classical Tradition
- Popular Music of the 20th and 21st Centuries
- World Music.
Instrumental lessons at Lincoln Castle Academy are thriving!
Students have the opportunity to take individual instrumental lessons provided at the most competitive prices in Lincolnshire! Tuition is currently offered for: Voice, violin, cello, flute, clarinet, saxophone, piano, trumpet, trombone, drum kit, guitar and bass guitar. All students learning an instrument will have the opportunity to take ABRSM, LCM, Rockschool or Trinity examinations. These opportunities are available to all students regardless of their financial situation.
Students are encouraged to develop their individual interests and skills beyond the classroom. A wide range of activities are offered during lunch times and after school including Music Theory Club, LCA Singers, Guitar Club, Rock Band, Samba Band and Wind Band.
The Music department is also available every break time for students to use the equipment and practise the skills learnt in their music lessons.
There are numerous concerts and productions throughout the school year for students to be involved in. Each year, the department produces a Christmas concert in December and a Spring concert in March and members of LCA Singers often compete in the annual Lincoln Music and Drama Festival. In May, students have the opportunity to take part in the Music Showcase- the Academy’s annual singing competition and the Music department also supports the Academy’s productions which are staged annually, performing favourites such as The Fiddler on the Roof, The Sound of Music, Little Shop of Horrors and The Wizard of Oz.
Our Ethos and Values
At Lincoln Castle Academy, we value:
Hard work, perseverance and academic excellence
The development of character, compassion and responsible citizenship
Ourselves, each other and boundless ambition